Wednesday, December 27, 2006

GOD CARES WHEN WE SUFFER

Even though the holidays have been wonderful with my daughter, I am so afraid right now - health problems, financial problems. How am I going to make it through all of this? But I know that no matter how tough things are, God is always there for me and there is a reason I am going through this and He is walking with me.

I came across this story and felt is was so perfect for how I am feeling right now:

"A good friend of mine once went to visit his brother during a time of deep crisis. His marriage was struggling, his business was near collapse, and his money was drying up quickly. He had just sold his home and moved into a one-bedroom apartment and had no idea how he was going to dig himself out of his financial and relational problems.

My friend listened as his brother confided in him about his deep frustration. "Some days you want to go outside and shake your fist at heaven and say, 'God, why don't you help me?'" his brother said.

My friend looked at his brother in the eye and said somberly, "That wouldn't do any good. He doesn't even know who you are." The two looked at each other for several seconds then burst out laughing. The two brothers had spent their lives trusting God and studying his Word, and the absurdity of the statement left them both in stitches. Years later, the brother told my friend that his joke had brought him a great deal of comfort during his trying time. Even more, it gave him renewed perspective.

We've all felt abandoned by God at one time or another. God cares deeply when we suffer, and he is right there beside us all the time. At times like these the best thing to do is put your hand in his and trust him with your future. Because he not only knows what you're going through, he knows exactly who you are.

from Embracing Eternity by Tim LaHaye, Jerry B. Jenkins and Frank M. Martin (Tyndale) p 166 "

No comments: